Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Through theAdirondacks to the Finger Lakes Rally?
07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Through theAdirondacks to the Finger Lakes Rally?
I'm considering going to The Finger Lakes Rally over Labor Day weekend and was thinking about leaving on Wednesday, September 2, going to Burlington, Vermont, get on the Lake Champlain Ferry to Port Kent and then ride down through the heart of the Adirondack Mountains, then hooking up with series of back roads that would take me the rest of the way to Watkins Glen for Friday and the start of The Finger Lakes Rally. I would love some company on this adventure.....anyone interested? Let me know soon. I'll be riding my new 2009 R1200RT. Thanks, Don Kent
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2009, 01:48 PM
RE: Through theAdirondacks to the Finger Lakes Rally?
It looks like this extended trip is off. I came down with a pretty serious leg infection and ended up in the hospital for a few days, so I have limited time for this trip now. I'm still hoping to go to Finger Lakes and would love some company for the ride, but this will probably be a pretty direct route out and back. All of this is contingent on whether or not my leg is sufficiently healed by rally weekend. If you are interested in riding out together, let me know. Don
09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
(08-14-2009 01:48 PM)beemeup Wrote:  It looks like this extended trip is off. I came down with a pretty serious leg infection and ended up in the hospital for a few days, so I have limited time for this trip now. I'm still hoping to go to Finger Lakes and would love some company for the ride, but this will probably be a pretty direct route out and back. All of this is contingent on whether or not my leg is sufficiently healed by rally weekend. If you are interested in riding out together, let me know. Don

Don
sorry to hear of your leg injury. hope that goes well for you.
I am probably not available to go out that way for the rally weekend you speak of but I have done the initial planning for a 3 day ride out and back to some of the same areas of NY, starting from southern Maine before the end of the riding season.

if you would be interested in hooking up for something like this and if you feel up to it, let me know.

my current planned route is something like 800 miles total. it goes like this, up Rt 26 to Errol NH, then across the top of NH and VT to the very NE corner of NY. maybe around Mooers NY for the first nite. from Mooers to about Malone on Rt 11W. from there down into the Adirondack's to explore a bit and end up at some place like Lake Placid the second nite. then back across southern VT, NH and back into southern Maine on the third day.

I tend to ride alone and prefer the back roads vs the interstate highways unless I am trying to get some place quick. I do make riding plans and usually end up using use them as a guideline only. I always seem to find some out of the way road that looks interesting to wander off my planned route. because of that, I do not stick to a firm route and time schedule as some do. I tend to ride 300 or so miles a day, that seems to be about all my butt can take without a penalty, lol. I am planning to stay in a hotel along the way. I have pretty simple tastes, not into fancy expensive stuff. I am perfectly happy to eat in a local diner along the way rather than a restaurant.

if this sounds like something you might be interested in let me know and we will see how the weather goes over the next few weeks. maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't. but I am hoping the weather holds long enough for me to make this ride anyway before the end of the season.
09-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Rick, Thanks for the good wishes and the post, sorry I haven't responded sooner. My leg is doing much better now and I think it's up to a trip at this point. I'm planning on going to the "Color in the Catskills" Rally at Hunter Mountain in the Catskills, I've booked camping at a State Park about 10 miles down the road from the Rally. I'm currently planning to go down on Friday, (10/2) early and will probably go down the fastest way I can get there and save the scenic riding for once I get there and coming back on Sunday. I would love some company and would be happy to share my campsite if you'd like to join me.
09-16-2009, 10:48 AM
thanks for the offer, but unfortunately those dates will not work for me. I have been "volunteered" to move my sister from Nashville TN back to Maine about that time, lucky me. maybe some other trip will work out at a later time. glad to hear the leg is improving.

Rick D