Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trip planning software recommendation
06-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Trip planning software recommendation
I just got a Garmin 550 and have been experimenting with desktop planning software where I can plan a customized route and download the file to my Garmin. I tried several software packages such as the Harley Davidson one and Mapquest.

IMHO, each one was clumsy and I never was able to get the customized route into the Garmin. It seemed that what I ended up with was only the beginning and ending points, until I tried TYRE.

TYRE easily got my customized route into the GPS unit with all the way points in tact. TYRE uses Google maps with all there power as base maps. In the preferences section you have the ability to choose either a Tom Tom or Garmin product. The TYRE basic program is free!

I have no financial interest in TYRE.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 05:51 AM
RE: Trip planning software recommendation
This sounds great. Where do I go to get TYRE? Do you have a link?
Thanks Merlin! Don
06-05-2012, 07:58 AM
(06-04-2012 05:51 AM)beemeup Wrote:  This sounds great. Where do I go to get TYRE? Do you have a link?
Thanks Merlin! Don

http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

One thing to remember is that you have to set your preferences to Garmin. The initial setup is for TomTom.

I got involved in this quest after recently going to VA and constantly fighting Garmin trying to re-route me through NYC.
06-12-2012, 02:15 PM
(06-05-2012 07:58 AM)Merlin III Wrote:  I got involved in this quest after recently going to VA and constantly fighting Garmin trying to re-route me through NYC.

Boy, THAT sounds familiar!

--
Shawn Blair
'97 K1100LT, Mystic Red
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user